Monday, April 7, 2014

Getting Ready for Pesach

So Pesach is one of those times when eating seems, well, difficult.  I keep reading blog entries about how really it is quite easy to make food - just use fruits, vegetables, meat, and fish.  The problem is, though, I have too much of a liking for pasta and rice.  They're both quick and much easier to make.

Not only is it Pesach next week, but I also started a low-nickel diet.  I have hand eczema and it is highly recommended to try a low-nickel diet for a few months to see if it helps.
(If anyone else has similar problems, I highly recommend trying this out to see if it works for you! - http://www.pennstatehershey.org/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=0888ec6e-3d2f-4766-833e-b38bd920ffcd&groupId=102184)
Good news and bad news...the diet certainly seems to be helping, but that also means there are very certain foods I can eat.

Some restricted foods in the low-nickel diet overlap with both keeping kosher and kosher for passover - no shellfish, no legumes, no peanuts.  Yet, when we bring in the mixture no lettuce, no raw tomatoes, and no raw onions you just have to throw salads out the window.  Also, did I mention no chocolate? Who doesn't love chocolate?!

Basically, I will be having a very meat-filled week - that chicken is finally coming out of the freezer for some matzo ball soup and chicken salad fun!  I still haven't figured out how to cook fish - I'm so afraid of making the whole house smell - but maybe it's time to learn.  Also, mashed potatoes are a great staple food.  I can finally use up those three pounds of potatoes I bought awhile back.  So all in all, I think I can manage kosher for passover and low-nickel foods.  I mean it's just one week!

Good luck to everyone on the all the cleaning! Feel free to comment and share your favorite Pesach recipes!

1 comment: